Marine Science Instructor (Full Time)
Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association (FMSA)
The Marine Science Instructor delivers engaging hands-on ocean science programs for the Oceans After School, At Your School, and Marine Explorers Camp education programs as well as assists with special public programs for adults and families. This is a full time position through the Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association and work is primarily in classrooms at school sites. This position requires a commitment to work 8-hour days Tuesday-Friday as well as either Saturday or Sunday each week to assist with public programs.
The Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary (GFNMS) protects the wildlife and habitats of one of the most diverse and bountiful marine environments in the world, an area of 1,282 square miles off the northern and central California coast. Located just a few miles from San Francisco, the waters within Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary support an abundance of life, including many threatened or endangered species.
Established in 1995, the Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association is the nonprofit partner that supports and assists the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary in education, outreach, and stewardship. This is a full time benefited position through the Farallones Marine Sanctuary Association, on assignment to the Gulf of the Farallones National Marine Sanctuary.
Marine Science Instructor Position Responsibilities
- Delivers K-12 marine science curriculum (including programs on sharks, marine mammals, seabirds, squid, crabs, salmon, plankton, and ocean acidification) to diverse school audiences in alignment with the Next Generation Science Standards for California.
- Assists education staff with public programming including weekend workshops for families, evening lectures (Sanctuary Soirèes), and public excursions (Sanctuary Explorations)
- Provides a safe, supportive and friendly environment throughout all programs and facilities. Properly handles live marine organisms and cares for all education materials.
- Provides on-going evaluation of programs and facilities, communicates this information to all appropriate staff members, and works with other staff to maintain and improve high quality programs.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including one weekend day per week.
- Possess a considerable ability to establish and maintain effective and courteous working relationships with coworkers, teachers, students, and members of the general public.
Must possess a BA or BS degree (marine biology, oceanography, education or related field) or possess equivalent experience. Master’s degree desirable, especially related to marine biology or education.
- Ability to skillfully instruct others and to work with persons from diverse backgrounds, including urban youth. Experience in teaching marine science or a related field to K-12 students from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of, and broad interest in, oceans and marine science, including key ocean organisms, coastal ecosystems, and coastal stewardship.
- Excellent organizational skills to assist with collecting student data, program evaluations, class attendance, and public program registration.
- Ability to work as a team member; must be outgoing, patient, energetic and enthusiastic; must have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to be available to work a flexible schedule that includes early mornings, daytime, evenings, and weekends. Ability to adjust quickly to changing priorities and manage tasks in a sometimes stressful environment.
- Must have personal transportation and a valid California driver license.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs as the position requires transporting education materials.
Other job functions:
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
How to apply
Dependent on experience. Position is full time and includes benefits.
: Please send a cover letter, resume, and references (3) to Rietta Hohman, Marine Science Educator: firstname.lastname@example.org
(please include the phrase: “Application for Marine Science Instructor Position” in the subject line)
Deadline to apply:
September 29th 2014
October 1st - 3rd 2014
Start date: October 7th 2014 or as soon as possible